If you’ve ever wondered how to become a guest expert on the TV news, I’ve invited veteran newscaster Lynn Smith to share a tip or two about becoming that in-demand on-air contributor.
But even if you haven’t longed to be on television, the skills you’d use to shine on the news are also great for job interviews, Zoom calls, and sales meetings – and in these days of Zoom calls, TikTok, Instagram Reels, and Facebook and LinkedIn Lives, anybody can get that screen time any time.
So listen in for our expert view on: how to get noticed in a crowd experts, the #1 and #2 things you’ll need for any TV appearance, the video background we both hate, tips for showing up on-screen from home, the problem with online content (and news content, too!), and why a bad news appearance lasts forever, plus a new opportunity to get schooled … and more!
“You’re the only you. There’s zero competition if you focus on just being yourself.” – Lynn Smith
Highlights From This Episode:
- Meet Lynn Smith: news anchor, writer, and storyteller
- This pandemic’s silver lining
- True Story! From workshop participant to on-air contributor
- Pop Quiz: What’s a news peg?
- How to bypass all the competition out there
- Live speaking vs televised speaking
- What you’ll learn in Lynn’s TV News Academy
- Your #1 and #2 things for every TV appearance
- True Story! News Academy member wins Facebook award
- Don’t ever use this background for your videos...
- The only 2 industries who should display a wall of fame
- 5 more things that being good on camera prepares you for
- All your new skills are nothing without this...
- How social media and YouTube have changed everything
Did you enjoy this episode?
Thank you for joining me on this episode of the Get Out There and Get Known podcast! If you enjoyed this episode, please leave a 5 star rating and review on Apple Podcast (formerly iTunes) to help me reach even more people.