If you want to be featured in the news, on a show, or in a magazine, it’s easy to find the right people to talk to. Lists of media contacts are available online, and the people to connect with are right there on social media. BUT…
Who exactly should you talk to? What should you say? How should you say it? What do they want to hear?
The answers to all those questions are the topic of this week’s episode, where I call on my decades of experience in the media to explain how to get what you want from the media by giving the media what they want.
From practical press release tips to mindset and motivation, listen in and learn: how to get heard above the noise, why integrity is essential, what your expertise means to journalists and producers, what the media loves and what they aren’t looking for, 5 questions a media contact will ask themselves about your story, 8 things interviewers want their guests to do, the 7 words every media contact wants to hear … and more!
“The media will know when you’re not in integrity. They will know when something is fake.” – Pam Perry
Highlights From This Episode:
- How to get heard above the noise, in a nutshell
- This needs to be the core motivation for your work in the world
- Why integrity is essential for pitching the media (and working with me)
- Having the email address of a media contact isn’t enough. You also need…
- Why you’ll want to “fit in where you can get in”
- What your expertise means to reporters, journalists, and producers
- Why speakers also need to be authors and vice versa
- What the media loves … and what they aren’t looking for
- The 5 questions a media contact will ask themselves about your story
- How long your press release should be
- How short your email pitch should be
- The direction you should always spin your story
- 8 things interviewers want their guests to do
- How my Ready Set Go Speak! program will help you with all of this
- The 7 words every media contact wants to hear
Did you enjoy this episode?
Thank you for joining me on this episode of the Get Out There and Get Known podcast! If you enjoyed this episode, please leave a 5 star rating and review on Apple Podcast (formerly iTunes) to help me reach even more people.